Monday, February 20, 2012

Fritos Chili Pie


Fritos Chili Pie is a quick and simple recipe that's packed full of spicy flavors. It's a great way to repurpose left over chili, or put a new twist on homemade chili.

Mike and I have decided to give up meat for Lent this year, so this is the last meaty meal I'll be posting until Easter. I thought my meat-loving, hunter husband was ill when he recommended we give up meat because it would "be a big sacrifice." I'm proud of him for making this sacrifice and am fully supporting it by giving up meat as well.

I know Mike will miss red meat, and I'll miss chicken. We had to assure that we could do this and enjoy variety, so I've already made a list of 50+ meatless meals and fish recipes we'll be eating until Easter. There aren't too many fish recipes I'm fond of, so I'm hoping to expand my taste buds during Lent. Over the weekend, we enjoyed a few of our favorite meat recipes before Ash Wednesday, including Four Cheese Lasagna, Cream Cheese Chicken Chili, and Vegetable Beef Stew.

What are your favorite meatless meals or fish recipes?


Fritos Chili Pie
Ingredients:
·1 – 10.5oz. bag of Fritos corn chips
·1 recipe homemade chili, heated (I use Mike's 20-Ingredient Chili or Steak 'n Shake Chili)
·1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
·Toppings of choice: chopped onion, jalapeños, sour cream, etc.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350˚. Pour Fritos evenly in the bottom of a large baking dish. Pour prepared homemade chili over the corn chips. Add additional toppings of choice and then sprinkle with cheese. Place in the oven and cook until cheese is melted, about 5-10 minutes.


Notes: For crunchier chips, omit the step of cooking the Fritos Chili Pie in the oven. If you or others in your house are not gluten-free, my husband tells me this is an even better recipe if Chili Cheese Fritos are used.

0 comments: