Thursday, March 1, 2012

Portobello Burgers with Caramelized Onions and Aioli and Cornbread Hamburger Buns


WOW! This Portobello Burgers with Caramelized Onions and Aioli on top of a Cornbread Hamburger Bun is "really freaking good!"

I've tried mushrooms many times in my life and have never liked them because of the texture. I'm shocked that not only did I like this Portobello Burger, but I absolutely loved it. By the time I came back to the kitchen to eat after photographing my burger, Mike already inhaled his and exclaimed "That was really freakin' good!" I'm shocked and delighted that we both loved this meal. The contrast of a savory portobello burger with a sweet cornbread hamburger bun was phenomenal. It was messy to eat, but the taste was well worth the messy hands.

I found inspiration for this A-MAZ-ING meal from a few different places. There is a local restaurant where we live that serves my husband's favorite Pretzel Burger. Before Lent began, Mike and I went out to dinner to have our favorite burger one last time. I've never gotten to enjoy the pretzel bun that Mike raves about, but I do enjoy the meaty beef patty topped with caramelized onions and garlic aioli. When I came across a Portobello Burger with Green Sauce recipe in a Rachael Ray cookbook and a recipe for Cornbread Hamburger Buns, my inspiration was complete. I don't have a hamburger pan, so I baked the buns on a cookie sheet. I will definitely be making them again, so I'm sure I'll get better at free-forming the buns as I go.

Portobello Burgers with Caramelized Onions and Aioli
Ingredients:
·1 TBS extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
·2 large portobello mushroom caps
·Salt and pepper
·2 TBS balsamic vinegar
·2 slices provolone cheese
·¼ cup mayonnaise
·1 tsp minced garlic
·Splash of lemon juice
·Caramelized onions for topping
·2 gluten free cornbread hamburger buns

Directions:
Remove stems and gills from the mushroom caps. Gently rub with a paper towel to remove any dirt. In a medium skillet over medium heat, add EVOO and mushroom caps. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes on each side. Pour 1 TBS of vinegar on top of the mushroom caps. When vinegar has evaporated, turn mushrooms cap side up and place a slice of cheese on top. Remove from heat and cover with a lid for a few minutes to let the cheese melt.

For the aioli, combine mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste.

Slather cornbread bun tops with aioli. Place 1 portobello, cap side up, on top of each bun bottom. Top with caramelized onions and bun tops.

Yield: 2


I've also shared this recipe on: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday

3 comments:

Becky @ the Mixing Bowl Diary said...

wow! that sounds fantastic!!!! glad you liked the cornbread hamburger bun recipe..it is a standby at our house!!

Stealthy Mom said...

Mmmm. I have GOT to "pin" this so I don't forget to look for 'shrooms next time I make a trip to a big grocery store.

Diane Balch said...

I love your burger. I am going to mention it in a post tomorrow about burger ideas. So glad I found you.