Sunday, July 6, 2014

Scallops and Grits inspired by Oceanaire

 
Pan-seared scallops on top of a bed of creamy, cheesy grits all covered in cajun butter sauce.
 
I made Scallops and Grits a few months ago, and I already have a new recipe for the dish to share. The first time I made the dish, I attempted to recreate a healthier version of one of my favorite restaurant dishes. This time when I made the dish, I stumbled upon the restaurant's recipe online. I realized how unhealthy the restaurant dish actually is (which I knew in the back of my mind, but chose to ignore), so I'm glad I only eat it a few times a year.
 
While the dish from Oceanaire I'm obsessed with is listed as Shrimp and Grits on the menu, I customize the dish to be Scallops and Grits. But, it's delicious with either shrimp or scallops. My homemade version below is equally as delicious and much healthier.
 
Scallops and Grits
Inspired by The Oceanaire
 
Ingredients:
·2 cups skim milk
·1/2 cup grits
·1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
·Salt and black pepper, to taste.
·1 TBS unsalted butter
·1 lb scallops
·1/2 tsp each - minced garlic, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper
·Half of a lemon
·Green onions, chopped for garnish (optional)
 
Directions:
Carefully bring the milk to a low boil; then add grits, reduce heat, and stir constantly for 8 minutes until grits are cooked. Remove from heat, stir in cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
 
In a small pan, heat unsalted butter and add scallops, minced garlic, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Saute for 3-5 minutes. Deglaze with juice from half of a lemon. Spoon cajun butter and scallops over a bed of cheesy grits, sprinkle with green onions, and serve. 
 

0 comments: